- Gomed is a variety of Grossular, a Calcium Aluminium mineral of the Garnet family.
- The name comes from Greek word which means a Garnet of lower hardness and density than most Garnets of the Garnet family.
- It has a specific Red Colour – inclining to Orange. It is similar to certain Zircons but difference can be told by the difference in Specific Gravity as it is 3.64 to 3.69 for Gomed and 4.6 for Zircon.
- The Hardness of Gomed is 7 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness of other varieties of Garnet is 7.5 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness.
- Gomed if found mainly in India and Sri Lanka. It is also found in Brazil and California and recently mines have been found in Africa.